Makumo Textiles is made up of the husband and wife team, Tomota and Miki.
Miki designs and Tomota hand dyes their textiles in a little atelier by the sea on an island in the south of Japan.
Because each and every piece of these striking fabrics are hand printed and they can not be produced in large quantities. They will be no longer be available for purchase after this two week period, ending 20 November! See the others in the curated selection below and snap some up.
The word ‘Myaku’ can be used in many contexts to mean something continuous – like a mountain range, branches, or a water vein. Here we see it in this beautifully organic square repeat. They are highlighted by a medium blue on a pale green background, reminiscent of gingham. This design will pair with just about any print or solid.
Designed, handprinted and made in Japan, Makumo Textiles philosophy is one of fun! They begin each of their designs with the aim to infuse the joy and excitement of life into them, they then use colour and lines to create their enchanting fabrics!
All Makumo Textiles are available in four different fabric types. Myaku Rikyuis shown in a lightweight broadcloth for the example photos. You can see all the details and lots of pics for each substrate available here.
Select your preferred fabric from the drop down menu:
Double Gauze – Japanese speciality fabric. Two layers of muslin joined together with tiny tacks. Light weight and airy.
Linen Cotton Lawn – Light weight, breathable and SO versatile. All the things you love about linen and cotton brought together.
Cotton Shantung – A textured, sturdy mid weight. A beautiful ribbed effected is created by the slub of the fibers.
Ox Mid Weight – 100% cotton is sturdy yet soft, with a beautiful hand. It would make gorgeous tops, dresses and skirts.
Other Makumo Textile Designs:
Hanamizuki Black and white
Tori Black and brown
Natto Black and lime
100cm x 108cm wide : 38″ x 42.5″ wide
Sold in 1m, for continuous yardage select multiple quantities.
1 → 1 m
2 → 2m
3 → 3m
4 → 4m
Makumo Textiles Atelier are hand dyed using a specialised 5m long printing table. The fabrics are then steamed, washed and prepared all by hand. As a result the maximum continuous yardage is 4m. Any length longer than 4m the yardage will have to be split into two or more cuts depending on the amount ordered.
· Because of the nature of the material, some shrinkage occurs with washing (allow for shrinkage of approximately 2%)
· Due to the nature of hand printing, there may be differences in colour, bleeding, alignment etc. There will also be a visible join mark where the design stencils begin and end – this is called the katakuchi and is integrated into the fabric design.
· Different fabric substrates will absorb the dye differently and may affect the crispness of the lines and the intensity of the colours.
· Please be aware that some screens will display colour different depending on their settings.
· Makumo Textiles commercial use guideline do not allows for the sale of goods using Makumo fabrics.