Kata kata is made up of the husband and wife team, Chie and Takeshi.
They specialise in traditional Japanese dyeing methods of katazome and chusen. They use these methods to create the stencils and distinct designs you see in their handprinted fabrics.
Because each and every piece of these striking fabrics are hand printed and they can not be produced in large quantities. See the others in the curated selection below and snap some up.
This abstract representation and the organic shape of the tako design, gives it an eye catching and incredibly fun feel. The white lines and pops of grey-green against the vibrant red background creates an unforgettable impression. The Cotton Linen a lovely stubby texture with weight that would be perfect for pants, shackets, pinafores and more!
Designed, handprinted and made in Japan, kata kata philosophy is one that prioritises artistry, storytelling and connection! They begin each of their designs with a story and hope that the fabrics will spark your imagination as you unfold them and conversations as you wear them!
85% Cotton 15% Linen
Pripela: 85% Cotton 15% Linen
Lyocell: 100% Cotton
Tako Red is also available in Lyocell: click here
50cm x 106cm wide : 19.5″ x 42″ wide
Sold in 50cm, for continuous yardage select multiple quantities.
1 → 50cm
2 → 1m
3 → 1.5m
4 → 2m
· Because of the nature of the material, some shrinkage occurs with washing (allow for shrinkage of approximately 2%)
· Due to the nature of hand printing, there may be differences in colour, bleeding, alignment etc. There will also be a visible join mark where the design stencils begin and end – this is called the katakuchi and is integrated into the fabric design.
· Different fabric substrates will absorb the dye differently and may affect the crispness of the lines and the intensity of the colours.
· Please be aware that some screens will display colour different depending on their settings.
· kata kata commercial use guideline do not allows for the sale of goods using kata kata fabrics.