The artistry of a great meal is not just the food but also what it is served on. This fabric design is called ‘Tambatachikuiyaki’ after the pottery and stoneware of the same name. Handprinted on 100% Linen this would be perfect for a shacket, trousers or a skirt. It would be a match made in heaven for homewares also.
Tambatachikuiyaki Stoneware has been made for about 800 years in Tamba, near Sasayama City, Hyogo Prefecture. The kilns it is made in are counted among the six ancient kilns in Japan, and are indispensable in the history of Japanese pottery. Currently, around 60 kilns remain and continue to protect Tamba’s fire.
The black and white design of the fabric was inspired by a visit to the Toshihiko Kiln. It came to life after learning from one of the master artisans about the traditional black glaze ‘Okudaguro’.
Tambatachikuiyaki pottery is produced mainly for daily use, rustic and unadorned. They make use of an ash glaze and the clay surface, allowing you to fully feel the climate unique to Tamba. This is the essence that the fabric also strives to capture, with the hope that you will use it in your daily life and feel the history, artistry and connection it holds.
gochisou (ご馳走) is the indie textile brand behind this deisgn. It translates to mean a delicious meal, particularly treating guests with delicious meals.
Design house gochisou, is founded in the concept of encouraging people to revisit the way we think about meals. Designer, Ako, creates her fabrics with hope that they help people to pause, appreciate the food, forget how busy they are, and cherish time spent eating delicious meals with the precious people in your life.
Ako’ s atelier is in Tokyo and is filled with gorgeous textiles displaying delicious treats and their vessels!
She creates all her designs by hand first. She loves layering colours to create a unique flavour to each piece. They are then hand printed resulting one of a kind textiles with a beautiful texture. Her ethos is all about connection – to the textiles, the food and the people around you.
Because all gochisou fabrics are hand printed and they can not be produced in large quantities.
50cm x 112cm wide : 19.5″ x 44″ wide
Sold in 50cm, for continuous yardage select multiple quantities.
1 → 50cm
2 → 1m
3 → 1.5m
4 → 2m
· Because of the nature of the material, some shrinkage occurs with washing (allow for shrinkage of approximately 2%)
· Due to the nature of hand printing, there may be differences in colour, bleeding, alignment etc. There will also be a visible join mark where the design stencils begin and end – this is called the katakuchi and is integrated into the fabric design.
· Different fabric substrates will absorb the dye differently and may affect the crispness of the lines and the intensity of the colours.
· Please be aware that some screens will display colour different depending on their settings.
· Please contact me prior to purchasing the fabric for commercial use email@example.com